For over 150 years, our church has been dedicated to serving God and others. With the establishment of the church in 1863, our first 15 members began the work of First Presbyterian Church.
Soon after, in 1868, the church incorporated and our own church school was organized. The first manse was acquired on Church Street and just one year later, the first church building was dedicated on the site of the now Rutherford Public Library. In 1888, the Park Ave & Ridge Rd building began construction with a ground breaking ceremony where the church still stands today.
With the church dedicated in 1890, it would be 20 years until the Ridge Road manse (our present minister's home) would be built. In 1951, our Karen Kaiser Parish House (32 Ridge Rd) was dedicated and just five years later the restoration and dedication of the chapel would occur. In 1963 the church celebrated our one-hundredth anniversary.
The Moller organ installation occurred in 1967 and is still in use today. 1976 the chapel was dedicated as the Holloway Memorial Chapel, on Dr Holloway's fortieth anniversary as Pastor. The ringing bells in the steeple were installed in 1987 (Maas-Rowe Carillon Bell system) and one year later the one-hundredth and twenty-five anniversary celebration was held. 2002 brought about a stained glass window rededication after a six-year repair and refurbishment program.
After the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, our church adopted a Presbyterian Church there locally to assist in the rebuilding and recovery of its building. Moving along in the goal of education for our congregation and community, a long-range plan was developed, and our Christian Education program was reorganized. 2013 brought about the celebration of the 150th anniversary of our church and the Möller Pipe Organ was renovated.
May we honor those who have come before us and be dedicated to continuing their service of God and worship in this special place for a very long time to come. We are truly blessed.